[mythtv-users] tearing my hair out with audio over hdmi

E. Westbrook mythtv-users at westbrook.com
Thu Mar 10 15:32:17 UTC 2011

On Thu, Mar 10, 2011 at 08:03, Craig Cook <cncook001 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> I know you are using Gentoo, what exact hardware are you using?
>
> Maybe someone with the same hardware can add some ideas (if the alsa 1.0.24
> tips
> do not help).

I'll pipe up here; I've been following this thread with high interest as I'm
having the same symptom with my GT430 card.  Everything I see would indicate
that sound should be produced, but no sound comes over the NVidia HDMI.

My alsa libraries are at 1.0.24.2, but my kernel (a 2.6.35 flavor) seems to
have alsa 1.0.23 modules.  I do have a 2.6.36 flavored kernel available to
me, but it breaks my LIRC, so I haven't deployed it yet until I determine
how to adjust for that.  Perhaps I'll go to the 2.6.36 kernel anyway to
further diagnose this, if that seems a worthwhile experiment.

Some details are below.

Thanks,
Eric

# eselect kernel list
Available kernel symlink targets:
  [1]   linux-2.6.35-gentoo-r15 *
  [2]   linux-2.6.36-gentoo-r5

# cat /proc/asound/version
Advanced Linux Sound Architecture Driver Version 1.0.23.

# speaker-test -c2 -Dhdmi:NVidia

speaker-test 1.0.24.2

Playback device is hdmi:NVidia
Stream parameters are 48000Hz, S16_LE, 2 channels
Using 16 octaves of pink noise
Rate set to 48000Hz (requested 48000Hz)
Buffer size range from 64 to 16384
Period size range from 32 to 8192