[mythtv-users] Comcast STB upgrade breaks firewire channel changing

Christopher Meredith chmeredith at gmail.com
Thu Mar 10 22:05:47 UTC 2011

On Thu, Mar 10, 2011 at 2:57 PM, Christian Szpilfogel
<chriszpml at gmail.com>wrote:

> On 09/03/2011 6:06 AM, Nasa wrote:
> >
> >> I'm pretty sure "mythchanger -f" with either 2 or 4 should work for
> >> the
> >> SA3250. It will not need any code changes as the -f option forces the
> >> protocol choice.
> >>
> >> By chance did your cableco move to 4 digit channels?
> >>
> > I really wish that were the case, but no.  And no, the "-f" option (with
> either
> > 2 or 4) doesn't work for me :{
> >
> It is worth trying all options from 1 to 7. Even though it looks like
> each encoding is for a different box, the reality is that these are all
> permutations allowed within the standard. If none of these work then
> there is a permutation missing.
>
> What mythchanger does is use the PANEL commands for an STB. This in
> effect is like pressing the buttons on a remote or front panel of the
> STB. Sometimes you can send the digits in a block (usually optional) but
> sometimes they have to be sent button by button. Sometimes the STB is
> looking for key press down and in others key press release. And in some
> cases like some SA boxes it is looking for a key press down followed by
> a key press release. The sequence of buttons required to change the
> channel should be the as on your remote. So if you need to press enter
> at the end then you will also need to do this via firewire (say using
> stb-command). The protocol for this has not been more complicated than
> this in my experience.
>
> You can play with the code and try different options based on the
> examples you see. The first thing to note is try any digits with various
> options and see if the STB is responding at all.

So what does it mean if I've tried all 7 permutations, each with
combinations of 1, 2, 3, and 4-digit channel numbers, and in every case, the
STB does not respond in any way whatsoever? And I'll add that *capture* over
the exact same firewire connection works perfectly, as long as I manually
set the channel using the remote.