[mythtv-users] HDPVR Samples?

jedi jedi at mishnet.org
Fri Mar 11 14:55:17 UTC 2011

On Thu, Mar 10, 2011 at 02:27:13PM -0500, Raymond Wagner wrote:
> >> What hardware is your frontend?
> > It's a Dell Studio Hybrid - Core 2 Duo 2Ghz with intel graphics.  It's
> > able to play back H.264 HDTV that my current (IPTV) provider outputs, but
> > I'm going to have to switch away in the near term.
>
> That ship should be capable of decoding moderate bitrate HDPVR output,
> on the order of 10-11Mbps.  Full 13.5Mbps content will be too much for
> it to handle.  The bitrate is controllable, so just set it to something
> below the maximum your hardware can handle.

    When I was doing CPU decoding of HD-PVR recordings, whether or not the
CPU could keep up seemed to be dependent on the particular content more than
anything else. Things like fast pans seemed to really be a problem. At the
same bitrate, some shows would be fine while others would stutter.

    Although I never tried to tweak my bitrate on the high def stuff.