[mythtv-users] Raid5 with XFS

Spencer Herzberg spencer.herzberg at gmail.com
Fri Mar 11 18:13:33 UTC 2011

Hi,

I know that this is not the perfect place for this question, but I figured
the domain knowledge of this list for this topic would be pretty good (and I
follow this list more then any other and 99% of what will be on this raid5
is mythtv recordings...).

I currently have a software raid5 with ext3 which has worked fine for the
last few years. I am moving to new 2tb drives for another raid5 and would
like to run an XFS filesystem. I really want to set up the raid on my system
and get the old raids data duplicated and then continue to run the machine
as is with the new drives. The current machine is 32bit Ubuntu 10.10. I read
here: https://wiki.edubuntu.org/XFS that a disadvantage is that you cannot
just move the filesystem from a 32bit to a 64bit machine, which I want to do
in the future by re-installing a 64bit OS on the system drive.

Has anyone done this? Was the post correct in saying that you cannot just
move the filesystem without running xfs_repair? I haven't been able to find
any proof that this is the even the case and I would rather not have to
perform a xfs_repair on the filesystem if I don't have to (less manual
messing with a filesystem seems like it would be best on 4-6tb of drive
space).

Thanks in advance!