[mythtv-users] Build for dual HD recordings - also is PSU enough/too much

Joe Hickey jfwd at phlobus.net
Sat Mar 12 13:30:34 UTC 2011

On Fri, Mar 11, 2011 at 9:30 PM, Digital Hit Entertainment
<dhenews at hotmail.com> wrote:

> Looking to build a MythTV combined frontend/backend to ditch the cable and go with OTA HDTV. Want to be able to duplicate our current cable PVR which enables recording two HD programs while watching another recorded one.
>
> How's this line up? Realize it's not an HTPC case, but it's a small tower and a good price.

Your hardware spec sounds pretty good, the 430W supply is definitely
enough but I agree efficiency is very important, and it's tough to
find a well-made efficient supply under 400W.  I'm also running a
430W, unfortunately I couldn't find anything less that seemed good
quality and was 80+ certified, etc.

The only thing I'd consider is getting two hard disks instead of just
the single 1TB one.  Get a fast disk for the OS and database, and a
big disk (speed not critical) that you can dedicate to recordings.  I
am using a 2TB WD "Green" drive dedicated for recordings and a Seagate
7200rpm disk for OS/database/networked storage.  This is recommended
to reduce contention between recording and database access.  Also, 1TB
tends to fill rather fast -- my 2TB is already full.

> Still need to find a good IR remote that works well with MythTV. Looking
>  to buy in the next week or so.
> TV Tuner: HD HOMERUN Dual Tuner

The HD Home run has a built in IR receiver that works reasonably well.
 I'm using it with my combined fe/be with a logitech harmony remote
imitating an MCE remote.  I really like the harmony because it can be
programmed to put everything at the right settings.  The downside is
that it's a pain to get programmed correctly and has terrible
windows-only software to do so, but now that I've got it working it's
great.  It's the only way my wife is able to use mythtv - she just
pushes "Watch Recordings" and it turns on the TV, sets it to the right
input, and brings it to the recorded programs screen.