[mythtv-users] Ideas for family proofing the mythbox

Christopher Meredith chmeredith at gmail.com
Wed Mar 16 15:12:14 UTC 2011

On Tue, Mar 15, 2011 at 7:21 PM, Zooka <mythtv at fitzy.org> wrote:

> I'm looking for ways on how you have family proofed and made more
> friendly your mythbox for the non-techie kids or spouse.
>
> Here's what I have done so far on my combined FE/BE;
>
> - UPS to reduce power issues
> - Auto power up if UPS runs out
> - Disable power/reboot case buttons
> - run mythfrontend in a loop so if it crashes it will restart automatically
> - changed desktop background image to an informative message saying
> 'congratulations, you crashed the mythbox.. please wait while it restarts'
> - change Main Menu 'exit' button to something that isn't on the remote
> - parental levels set
> - setup password set
> - rewrote menu theme for easier navigation with regards to how we use
> the mythbox
> - any important events get emailed to me (mythfilldatabase, boot disk
> space over 90% full, frontend crash, etc..)
> - actually teach them how to do things such as scheduling, ad skipping,
> music playing, etc..
>

> That's all I can think of for now.  I look forward to hearing what you
> have implemented.

We use MythTV only for live/recorded shows, XBMC for library/music/local
content, and Hulu Desktop for online content. So I set up the Ubuntu Netbook
Launcher to run over the DE and made commonly used programs favorites. We
also use a wireless keyboard w/ integrated trackball rather than a remote.
So it's an intuitive computer interface that works from the couch.