[mythtv-users] Help please! Confusion - which of Atom+Ion | S775 | AM2+ | i3 | Zacate to go for?! :/

Terjesen Jens Peder Jens.Peder.Terjesen at devoteam.com
Thu Mar 17 10:20:41 UTC 2011

David Cushing wrote:

________________________________

Firstly, greetings to all.
I'm on a quest to get rid of Sky and replace my Apple TV with something more capable, and am in the process of building an HTPC.
I seem to be throwing myself into a tailspin over which platform to go for though, and was hoping some of you could help me decide.
My requirements are thus:

 *   Quiet running, as near to silent as possible.
 *   Low power consumption, and/or can be woken from sleep with ACPI for scheduled recordings
 *   Linux compatible (although I'm probably going to dual-boot it with Win7 for proper Blu-ray support when I add that)
 *   Runs MythTV front and back ends, also runs Boxee and XBMC.
 *   720 capable graphics. (No 1080 TV yet!)
 *   VGA output for the projector, on the odd occasion.
 *   S/P-DIF audio output
 *   Also capable of running a few background server daemons such as SABNZBD, Apache, Sick Beard, Couch Potato
 *   Operating as a NAS
 *   Adding a Blu-ray drive (with full HDCP playback support) at some point, although not necessary in the near future.
 *   Preferably mATX rather than mITX, so I can add in a couple of expansion cards, including a DVB-S2 PCIe card I have no, adding a DVB-T card, and maybe even upgrading graphics in the future to support full 1080 (assuming I go for something like an i3 now which I believe would be pushing its capabilities a little...)
 *   I don't see a need for wifi, as the airwaves are far too congested around here so I'm going to hard-wire it.

My first choice was an Atom/Ion combination.
I'm struggling to find the best board here though... The Zotac G-E board seems to be a good buy but doesn't have S/P-DIF output. I do have an external USB audio S/P-DIF interface that would suffice there. I spotted the ASUS 510 board which has the upgraded D525 Atom and ION2 graphics, but it has no VGA output so that wouldn't support the projector.
With these options, I'd have to mess around with getting a USB DVB-T stick to work with Linux, although the Zotac board has a mini-PCIe slot that I could use for that. Obviously I'd be stuck with the on board graphics with these, but the ION and ION2 support 1080, so that could work. Is there a huge benefit for going for a SU2300 over the Atom? The price difference seems to be about £50 over the Atom variant... which is quite a bit if the performance increment is minimal.

Then I saw the Zacate boards coming out, and they sound better - except for (lack of) Linux support. Anecdotally, it would seem AMD are way behind the curve in releasing drivers, and you can't offload video processing to the GPU. Is that correct?

Then I wondered about a low power socket 775 chip, such as an E5400, which would outperform the Atom, and couple it with a passively cooled NVidia graphics card on a mATX board. Obviously the power consumption here is going to shoot up from the Atom/ION boards, but by how much? Is it possible to underclock these so as to bring the power down?

The next option - although going up a bit in price, is the i3 option. On board graphics are not meant to be as good as the ION option, but I could again, in future (when I need 1080) then add an external card to provide better support for that.

Then I ALSO spotted the fact that Sempron chips are lower in power consumption than their Intel equivalents, and you can get motherboards with on-board Nvidia graphics, such as the GeForce 7025 chipsets, which again, might suffice at the moment. There are some really good prices available on combinations here, bringing in a mobo+cpu+ext graphics+memory in for the same price as an atom/ion mobo.

I also quite like the ASUS barebones systems - I built a pundit years ago, and was really impressed with the build quality of their kit, as well as the aesthetic look of their case. Something like the Asus V6-P7H55E would take an i3, and has the expansion capabilities I need.

But all of these options are throwing me into complete confusion over which option to go with.
I spontaneously (drunkenly ahem ) bought a DVB-S2 pci-e card, so I know that I have a hard requirement for a slot to support that.
After that, I'm flexible in my choices.

Any help would be most gratefully received. This decision process is driving me mad. (My adhd seems to be rising to the challenge of befuddling any choice I get close to making here!)

Many thanks

David

________________________________

I have one dual core Atom/ION as a frontend only, and even though it works well it is a little sluggish in menus and starting playback.
It is connected to the backend via Gb Ethernet, but still the transfer of data seems quite slow compared to a new frontend with AMD CPU connected to the backend via the same switch.

I am planning on possibly making this a low profile frontend/backend and have ordered a low profile dual DVB-S2 tuner from Digital Devices.
http://shop.digital-devices.de/epages/62357162.sf/de_DE/?ObjectPath=/Shops/62357162/Products/091001

The nice thing about the cards from Digital Devices is the flexibility. You can buy an extra dual tuner card without PCIe connector and connect it to the other card via a ribbon cable.
http://shop.digital-devices.de/epages/62357162.sf/de_DE/?ObjectPath=/Shops/62357162/Products/091010

If you also buy a mounting plate like this you can actually get four tuners in one full hight PCI slot.
http://shop.digital-devices.de/epages/62357162.sf/de_DE/?ObjectPath=/Shops/62357162/Products/092111

They also have separate PCIe and mini PCIe interface cards supporting up to four dual tuners.

According to linuxtv.org the DVB-S2 version is supported, but can't find the link at the moment.
They also have a combined DVB-C/DVB-T version that has experimental support.
http://linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/DVB-C_PCIe_Cards

I have not received the card I have ordered so have no personal experience with it yet.

Jens