[mythtv-users] Help please! Confusion - which of Atom+Ion | S775 | AM2+ | i3 | Zacate to go for?! :/

jedi jedi at mishnet.org
Thu Mar 17 14:45:36 UTC 2011

On Thu, Mar 17, 2011 at 12:22:21PM +0000, Richard Morton wrote:
> Using an atom or arm chip for the master backend is not recommended. I would
> suggest an i3 as aminimum for a combined fe/be
>
> The scheduler is rerun when there is new scheduling information such as a
> schedule change through eit or a changed recording rule. This process is cpu
> intensive and will interrupt smooth playback on a combined fe/be with atom
> chip.
>
> Some people say they are using atom/ion as either a be or fe successfully
> but in all honesty ymmv and there are no guarantees. Its one thing to have
> the kit lying around and trying, it is another to go out and buy
> underpowered equipment tobfind it doesnt work and having to go out and buy
> more expensive equipment.

   In general, it's hard to go wrong with any system that is built around a
recent Nvidia GPU. Even if you decide that you want extra CPU power in the
box, you will likely benefit from the quality and features supported in the
proprietary nvidia drivers.

    That is why the ION kit is as useful and well liked as it is.

[deletia]