[mythtv-users] Help please! Confusion - which of Atom+Ion | S775 | AM2+ | i3 | Zacate to go for?! :/

jedi jedi at mishnet.org
Thu Mar 17 14:51:29 UTC 2011

On Thu, Mar 17, 2011 at 08:25:32AM -0400, Will Dormann wrote:
> On 3/17/11 8:22 AM, Richard Morton wrote:
> > Using an atom or arm chip for the master backend is not recommended. I
> > would suggest an i3 as aminimum for a combined fe/be
>

> As I mentioned on this list before, I'm using an Atom 330/ION for a
> combined FE/BE, and it works wonderfully for me.   The only thing where
> the CPU weakness shows is burning a DVD, as it takes overnight to
> re-render the content from my HD-PVR.

...this is something you can do with another machine. Even if you have a
combined Fe/Be, you can still set up a more powerful machine as a FE or
slave backend box and take some of the load off of your main mythbox.

   You can manipulate content directly or run mythfrontend.

   Being able to run mythfrontend on my main desktop in the den was one of
the main things that drew me to MythTV originally. Very handy when someone
has decided to fall asleep in front of the big TV.

[deletia]