[mythtv-users] Tuner Schedules

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Thu Mar 17 17:07:41 UTC 2011

On 03/16/2011 10:50 PM, Spencer Herzberg wrote:
> Hi, is there a way to easily setup schedules for tuners? So that say
> Tuner A can't record anything from 5pm to 1am, and Tuner B from 10am
> to 12pm?
>
> My setup has my master backend in the bedroom and the hd receiver is
> hooked up to my tv through my hdpvr. We watch tv at night and the Miss
> doesn't like to use the Mythtv frontend for live tv (yet). If I could
> just schedule that tuner to not be available between 5pm and 1am, that
> would be a perfect fix until I can get her to use the mythtv frontend.
>
> I have tried cron jobs with mythbackend --nosched but it seems that
> this will need to rebuild the recording schedules at the time the
> command is called which is not quite ideal. I want the tuner to not be
> available during certain time slots and this to be reflected in the
> "Upcoming Recordings" displays.
>
> Thanks for the help!

Don't do any of the things suggested in the thread, so far.  Instead
"check out" one or more tuners from the mythbackend, so it knows that
tuner is not available.  It will then automatically reschedule
everything properly, according to the specified recording rule
priorities, etc. and ensure that the showings that occur while the tuner
is locked are marked as not recorded because the tuner was not available.

You can do this via a menu command with EXECTV--see
defaultmenu/tvmenu.xml the default menu theme for details/example (and
will need to keep whatever program you start with EXECTV running until
you're done with the tuner--and one program/menu/frontend per tuner).
With this, you could actually set up the system so that the menu entry
kicks off xawtv or tvtime or kdetv or whatever "passthrough" TV viewer
application you like.

Or, you can write your own script that can be run at the command-line or
through cron, using the Python bindings.

http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/0.24_Python_bindings/Connection_Handlers#lockTuner

(Description isn't complete, yet, but if you pass a capture card ID, you
can tell it  to lock a specific tuner--tell mythbackend that tuner is
not available, so it won't be used for scheduling.  You'll need to keep
the connection from the python script to the backend open as long as you
want the tuner locked--the destructor will unlock anything prior to
closing the connection.  So, if done on a cron job, the first script
could lock the tuner and keep it open and the second could )

Mike