[mythtv-users] Tuner Schedules

Simon Hobson linux at thehobsons.co.uk
Thu Mar 17 22:24:39 UTC 2011

Michael T. Dean wrote:

>Don't do any of the things suggested in the thread, so far.  Instead
>"check out" one or more tuners from the mythbackend, so it knows that
>tuner is not available.  It will then automatically reschedule
>everything properly, according to the specified recording rule
>priorities, etc. and ensure that the showings that occur while the tuner
>is locked are marked as not recorded because the tuner was not available.

But how will that deal with the problem of the scheduler not knowing
**in advance** not to schedule recordings in those specific windows ?
As I see it, if a program has two showings, and the second showing is
in the window you need the STB for something else, then there is a
fair chance of the scheduler planning on recording that showing so as
to be able to record another program in the earlier slot. As it is, a
lot of my recordings are of repeats rather than the first showing.

**After** the scheduler has passed up the opportunity to record the
earlier showing, you then tell it the tuner isn't available so it's
only option is to not record that program. If there's no later
showing then you've failed to record it at all.

By making the second showing unavailable in advance, the scheduler
will have the opportunity to shuffle recording schedules in order to
record the first showing (if it can). Of course, if you run out of
available inputs then you can still miss recordings, but I'd have
thought it gives you a better chance of getting what you want.

--
Simon Hobson