[mythtv-users] Off topic - can someone identify this connector please, I think it's US standard.

Simon Hobson linux at thehobsons.co.uk
Fri Mar 18 11:47:37 UTC 2011

Andre wrote:

>You need to remove the insulation for the length of the ferrule (bit
>you crimp) and with some nasty F's they use the center as the pin,
>so you need to strip the dielectric too for those although that ends
>up being lower loss than a proper pin. So you need to strip back
>insulation, screen, foil and dielectric (plastic insulator) for the
>pin, it's best to strip back lots more than you need and trim the
>pin after. Don't nick the center, if you do, start again, use a
>sharp scalpel, those automatic strippers are hopeless, you can cut
>almost all the way through the plastic and the last bit will break
>away cleanly with good cable.

Yep, fine with all that - BNCs and PL259s are no problem at all.

>Put the the ferrule on now or you will forget ;-)

Funnily enough I learned that a long time ago :-/

>The real trick is to ease the back of the crimp inside the braid and
>foil a little then gently swirl the connector around by about 1cm at
>15 degrees, then it gently eases under the braid without bunching or
>separating, then you can crimp evenly and it's a solid connection.
>If the braid bunches up it will never be any good so start again.

That's the bit I've always struggled with. That's exactly the
technique I've been using, so it sounds like I just need a bit more
practice.

>I used to have the speed record at my first TV job, 27sec per crimp
>including stripping, had to be tested by supporting your own weight
>to get the prize :-)

I'm impressed, that's a darn good time.

>The biggest thing is to have the correct crimp connector for the
>cable and the correct crimp jaws for that cable in that connector,
>if anything is not right you don't get a reliable connection.

You mean it's not enough to just squeeze it a bit with the side cutters :-)

>Any good TV studio wireman will happily spend 20 mins showing you
>the "one true way" to fit a crimp, it's a bit of an art and point of
>pride for them.

I think I'd struggle to find anyone round here capable of crimping on
an F connector properly. Some of the local Sky installers can't even
manage to screw the connector nut onto the socket !

--
Simon Hobson