[mythtv-users] Tuner Schedules

Rob Smith kormoc at mythtv.org
Fri Mar 18 17:53:12 UTC 2011

On Fri, Mar 18, 2011 at 6:31 AM, Nick Morrott <knowledgejunkie at gmail.com> wrote:
> Without the scheduler having awareness for future tuner availability I
> would opt for Simon (and David)'s suggestions here and make sure the
> listings data for these time periods is not present. Without knowing
> the innards of the scheduler, I am sure this would results in more
> stable scheduling than disabling/locking tuners at the last minute. as
> the scheduler would _always_ know that there is no chance programming
> can be recorded at these times.

It's actually less the scheduler and more the source data. He won't be
able to use the same source for each tuner as all the guide data is
stored per source. If he removes it for one tuner, he removes it for
all tuners.

That said, he can muck around with duplicating guide data and thus
increasing the time it takes to run a fill database and increase the
scheduler time by a ton.

Also, if the mythfilldatabase runs during the window, all his guide
data will be added and myth will fight to get the tuner back until he
re-wipes the data and forces a global reschedule, thus losing
recordings and messing up the misses live tv viewing.

So yes, removing the data is a solution, but it has a pile of
tradeoffs not fully explored previously in this thread and is why
we're not recommending he undertake that solution. It's really not as
easy and error free as you guys think when dealing with multiple
tuners.

~Rob