[mythtv-users] Multiple backends

Simon Hobson linux at thehobsons.co.uk
Sun Mar 20 16:41:50 UTC 2011

Raymond Wagner wrote:

>Last, don't use a VM.  There is very little reason for any home user to
>need to use them.

On that I disagree. YMMV, but it allows segregation of functions
which makes admin a lot easier. On my server I have three different
incarnations of Debian running. For some stuff I need an up to date
version - so it's got Squeeze. For other stuff, it's too much hassle
at the moment to upgrade everything, and that's still running Sarge.
And then I've got stuff in between running Lenny.

it also means you can fire up a new box (for example, a new Myth
backend) and fiddle with it while the old one is still in service.
OK, if you need access to the tuners then you would have to shut down
the old box for a while, but you know that if your new one doesn't
work, you have the old one still there ready.
That is far better than starting with a working box, "fixing"
something, and then be under time pressure to fix it before anyone
can watch or record TV - I rather think that "sorry dear, TV's off
for as long as it takes me to fix this" isn't going to do much for
the WAF !

--
Simon Hobson