[mythtv-users] HDMI Audio Zotac 430 GT

Marc Randolph mrand at pobox.com
Mon Mar 21 00:27:39 UTC 2011

On Sun, Mar 20, 2011 at 3:55 PM, Scott & Nicole Harris
<snharris99 at live.com> wrote:
>>For audio to work; the screen/amp (hdmi) must be powered *before* the PC
>>starts
>
>>Newer version of alsa doesn't use the edid to determine audio
>>capabilities but the ELD (Edid like data) which is when the TV/amp can
>>refer back what audio capabilities are supported.
>
> They are.  I am talking everything on, no audio -> reboot computer, no
> audio -> reboot computer -> no audio -> reboot computer, audio! -> reboot
> computer, no audio...you get the idea.  During this process, I never turn
> the TV or amp off.

Howdy Scott,

Two things:

1. someone previously has mentioned that they have to use aplay -D or
speakertest or something similar outside of MythTV before Myth will
play nicely.  The only reason I noticed this was because the first
many times I was trying to get HDMI audio working, it seemed like I
had to do something similar anytime I booted up the box.  I had very
little spare time to really play around with it though, and since
early or mid February, it has worked everytime.  I don't know if I'm
booting differently now or what.

2. Ubuntu users can get up-to-date ALSA via PPA, which I assume would
fix the kernel update issue (I haven't updated kernels in quite a
while): https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Audio/InstallingLinuxAlsaDriverModules

If the PPA updates too frequently, you could always update and once
you have it working, disable the PPA.  That's what I did.

Have fun,

   Marc