[mythtv-users] Performance issue on 0.24-fixes - Playback stalls when a recording starts/ends

Brian J. Murrell brian at interlinx.bc.ca
Tue Mar 22 20:10:36 UTC 2011

On 11-03-22 04:02 PM, Martin Andersen wrote:

> Yes, but this whole issue points toward some thread locking bug or
> similar. While tweaking the setup or upgrading all of the hardware,
> likely will be a potential workaround, it's not really the core of the
> problem. It doesn't seem like there's any direct relation between the
> load on the backend and the issue. I can stress the backend with all
> kinds of non-MythTV stuff without any effect on the frontend playback,
> but once the backend performs some minor action, the playback stalls
> on the frontend.

I have reported (both here and in trac) backend [dead]locking bugs
before.  They didn't get much traction though.  Either here or in trac.

There are [dead]locking/race bugs in the backend.  There is no mistake
about that.  Whether they are triggered by bad/faulty hardware and/or
drivers or something completely hardware unrelated, I dunno.  But the
backend should not have deadlocks in it even in the face of those kinds
of problems.

Unfortunately debugging these kinds of issues typically takes some
pretty deep understanding of the internals.

b.