[mythtv-users] Problem with video buffer when watching a DVD

Jean-Yves Avenard jyavenard at gmail.com
Wed Mar 23 03:00:46 UTC 2011

Hi

On 23 March 2011 13:32, Adam Jimerson <vendion at gmail.com> wrote:
> Yea I found that out the hard way now myth won't let me use
> "surround71:CARD=SB,DEV=0" as my audio device anymore saying the device
> is in use or invalid.  One of the reasons why I bumped it up was because

Are you using pulse or is the device in use by any other applications
by any chance?

> I use upmixing constantly and have a couple of multi-channel audio
> tracks.  The troubleshooting guide suggested 3072... now I guess have
> have to troubleshoot the problem the troubleshooting has caused...

Again, changing the audio buffer size has zero to do with the issue
you are having now.

> Under /proc/asound/card0 I have pcm0c,pcm0p,pcm1c,pcm1p,pcm2c the only
> one that is showing active is the pcm0p everything else is showing
> "closed" any ideas as to what I need to do to re enable this device?

you can try using speaker-test -c 6 -Dsurround71:CARD=SB,DEV=0 and see
what it gets you. Though it's more than likely you will get the same
error than myth is giving you
> vendion ~ $ mythfrontend --version
> Please attach all output as a file in bug reports.
> MythTV Version   : 0.24
> MythTV Branch    : exported
> Network Protocol : 63
> Library API      : 0.24.20101028-1
> QT Version       : 4.7.1
>
> According to Pacman the build date for the packages is Wed 10 Nov 2010

This is ancient..
You should definitely upgrade, lots of fixes went in since.

JY