[mythtv-users] UPnP stream Live TV

Jay Foster jayf0ster at sbcglobal.net
Thu Mar 24 15:32:07 UTC 2011

On 3/24/2011 3:28 AM, Robert Houghton<robbadler at gmail.com> wrote:
> I haven't found any recent discussion or activity on the possibility of
> streaming live TV to UPnP clients. Does anyone know the current state of
> this request, or has anyone made changes that are not in trac or github?
>
> My setup is such that my AV receiver does not have coax-in, and so I cannot
> take advantage of multichannel audio in my HD OTA streams when watching
> Live. Streaming MythTV recordings to my HTPC will use the 5.1 sound, because
> it is through the HTPC HDMI cable. I am aware that this would use up one of
> the free tuners, and there would need to be some prioritization of scheduled
> recordings vs UPnP streaming of live broadcasts, but it should be possible
> to accomplish. So, just fishing for information I guess.
>
> Thanks,
> -Robert

I am running 0.21-fixes with HD Homerun tuners.  I recently installed
XBMC on another computer to try it out as a frontend.  I was able to
watch live TV on it from the MythTV backend.  It worked just fine.  I
don't remember if it was via UPnP or the XBMC built-in myth protocol.
So if this worked in 0.21-fixes, it should work in the current version.

You could just install mythtv frontend on your HTPC.  If you can stream
(watch) recordings you should be able to do the same with "live TV",
since I believe that there is no difference in mythtv with respect to
watching live TV or recordings.  Live TV is nothing more than a chasing
playback of an in-progress recording.

Jay