[mythtv-users] iOS icons for MythWeb

Brent Meyer brent.meyer at gmail.com
Sat Mar 26 04:07:31 UTC 2011

Hi all,

On iOS devices, you can save a link to a webpage as a button on the
home screen. I did that, but MythWeb doesn't include an icon. The
fallback icon is a tiny thumbnail of the page itself, which is kind of
ugly, so I decided to roll my own.

You can see a screenshot with two different icons here:
http://i.imgur.com/pn0nN.jpg. If you're having trouble seeing the the
difference, the one on the left has stripes, and the one on the right
does not.

You can download the icons from the following locations:
No stripes: http://i.imgur.com/7jdbi.png
Stripes: http://i.imgur.com/mMo0f.png

To setup MythWeb so that the icon appears, do the following (note that
I'm using Mythbuntu 10.10, so YMMV by distribution):
1) copy the image into /var/www/mythweb/skins/<name of current MythWeb
skin>/img/

2) Open /usr/share/mythtv/mythweb/modules/_shared/tmpl/<name of
current MythWeb skin>/header.php in your favorite text editor. Search
for the line that begins <link rel="shortcut icon"...>. On the next
line, insert the following:
<link rel="apple-touch-icon" href="<?php echo skin_url
?>img/mythtv-ipad-icon.png" />

Note that in both steps, you must replace "<name of current MythWeb
skin>" with the name of the MythWeb skin you are using. If you've
never changed the MythWeb skin, it's most likely "default". Also, in
step 2, replace "mythtv-ipad-icon.png" with whatever you named the
file in step 1.

These images are my tiny, insignificant gift to the community. Do with
them as you please. Suggestions are welcome. If there is a better way
than imgur to distribute these icons (I'm sure there is) please let me
know.

Thanks,

Brent