[mythtv-users] Do you build mythtv from source, and why?

Raymond Wagner raymond at wagnerrp.com
Mon Mar 28 17:44:55 UTC 2011

On 3/28/2011 13:31, Mark Lord wrote:
> (1) to get local CPU optimizations for a slight performance boost.

Hopefully you're just letting the configure script handle this with
--enable-proc-opt?  It's a well known Gentoo pastime to get yourself
into trouble forcing specific --tune and --march flags.

> (b) fix/improve various issues with the mythtbuntu theme.
> (c) enlarge the EPG to have more rows/columns on my 1080p screens.
> (d) show tuner name in signalmon display, and when changing channels (useful for
> OTA).
> (e) shorten the OSD timeouts, so they don't cover up playback for as long.

All of these theme changes can be applied without recompiling from
source.  The themes are just stored as plain XML after all.  In fact,
you can store your own theme in your local ~/.mythtv directory to use,
and not have to worry about repatching the source every time you update.