[mythtv-users] MythVideo and Prebuffering Pauses

Glen Hawksworth glenhawk at optusnet.com.au
Tue Mar 29 00:54:55 UTC 2011

Hi all,
I am having problems with either MythVideo or Ripping DVDs or both.
I am using Handbrake to rip DVDs to h.264, AC3 5.1, MKV files and have
noticed some brief pauses during playback.
I don't notice this problem in any of the recorded SD or HD TV, or in
other downloaded video files (including bluray rips) so I came to the
conclusion that the problem is related to the specific method of ripping
the DVD via Handbrake.

Investigating further, I opened the frontend/s from a Terminal and
noticed that the pauses corresponded with "prebuffering pause" error
messages.
I have  visited
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Troubleshooting:Prebuffering_pause but can't
find anything relating to my specific case (TV all ok, some videos not).

Any ideas what could be causing my prebuffering pauses?

OTHERWISE

Any suggestions for an easy to use DVD ripper (ideally for ubuntu) that
will rip high quality with surround sound?

Thanks, in advance,
Glen