[mythtv-users] Do you build mythtv from source, and why?

Mark Lord mythtv at rtr.ca
Tue Mar 29 16:01:05 UTC 2011

On 11-03-29 10:53 AM, Mario Limonciello wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 29, 2011 at 7:05 AM, Ryan Patterson <ryan.goat at gmail.com
> <mailto:ryan.goat at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     On Mon, Mar 28, 2011 at 1:31 PM, Mark Lord <mythtv at rtr.ca
>     <mailto:mythtv at rtr.ca>> wrote:
>     > Q: Do you (re)build mythtv from source code? If so, why?
>
>     I build from source because I hate the "enhancements" the ubuntu
>     package maintainers implement.
>
> Do you have some specifics?  We're quite open to making changes if there are
> things people don't like.

I won't speak for Ryan, but all of those "*.real" wrapper scripts
simply drive me bananas.

I know why they are there, for the theoretical "non-technical users",
and I don't expect them to disappear, but I don't want them here!  :)

Speaking of Mythbuntu -- it would be Really Nice if somebody there could
take a look at the Upstart startup/shutdown sequence.  It mostly works
by accidents of timing, and doesn't work at all in the system I have here,
with the rootfs on a very very fast SSD.  That throws the timing way off.

Examples:

(1) The box here boots/runs from SSD, but has a 2TB mechanical drive
for recordings and videos.  Quite frequently, about every third to fifth boot,
something buggy in the startup doesn't "see" the mechanical drive, and starts
up the system without mounting it ("auto" in /etc/fstab).  I've now removed
the "auto" from /etc/fstab, and added my own script to mount it later on.
I also had to add some delays in the initramfs so that udev wouldn't miss
seeing that device.  Ugh.

(2) mythbackend frequently start before networking is up, so it doesn't find
the hdhomerun network-based tuners.  Again, I've bypassed this by writing my
own scripts to start mythbackend now, and changed the sequence to require
networking.

(3) At shutdown, mysql exits before mythbackend is shut down.  Duh..

Stuff like that.  There were another half dozen or so things there that
I had to tweak to guarantee correct startup/shutdown after installing Maverick,
but I don't remember the others off hand.

Cheers
-ml