[mythtv-users] Missing recordings - partial diagnosis

Neil Cooper neilcoo at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Mar 29 18:43:29 UTC 2011

Since around the time I upgraded to 0.24  to I've been experiencing a quite frequent problem with a scheduled recording apparently taking place but either not saving a file at all or saving an unwatchable show (solid blue screen and loud static like the tuner isn't tuned in). It seems other contributors here have reported similar problems with no real resolution forthcoming.

I hardly ever use the "Watch LiveTV" option in MythTv but tried it last night and discovered something interesting:

Im on Cox cable so still get a mix of analog and digital broadcasts. When selecting "watch Live TV" and a digital channel opens first, it usually (but not always)  can't get a lock on any digital channel. However if I even momentarily switch to an analog input then switch right back, the digital tuner can then get a lock fine. Its appears that just selecting/watching an analog channel resets/initialises the digital tuner somehow.

I only have space for one tuner card in my box, the card  I mostly use is the Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-2200, however the same problem persists even after swapping in my PCHDTV-5500, so the problem appears not to be hardware or driver specific.

It appears that MythTv 0.24 isn't properly initializing the tuner
hardware which is is the reason a lot of of  recordings (both analog
and digital) are being screwed. I didn't have this problem with 0.23.

 As both my cards comprise of dual-mode (digital/analog) tuners that can't do both at once, I have to set the backend tuner configuration such that both tuners are in a group and are opened on demand rather than always open. I guess this means MythTV should initialise the tuner each time its opened, which apparently is not always happening in 0.24.