[mythtv-users] PVR-250 remote control: compatible with PCTV-800i interface

Mark Lord mythtv at rtr.ca
Tue Mar 29 20:07:39 UTC 2011

I've always had one or two PVR-250 tuners in my Mythtv box
for analog OTA recording.  As such, I've fiddled and gotten
the remote control ports to work very well (patched my kernels
to fix the b0rked button repeat rates etc..).

But this September 2011, analog TV disappears finally from where
I live in Canada.  So I'll be yanking out the one remaining PVR-250
and replacing it with another DTV tuner.

So, I need a new way to get the remote control to work.
There are lots of options here, but I do really like the PVR-250
silver remote (the smaller version), and we have a pair of them here.

I built a universal USB IR-receiver that works with LIRC (ftdi),
but it just feels clunky compared with the interface in the PVR-250 cards,
not nearly as responsive.

So.. my solution going forward:  I got a PCTV-800i card, formerly by
Pinnacle but now owned by Hauppauge.  And as it turns out, the IR
interface on that card recognizes and receives from my Hauppauge
PVR-250 remote controls just fine.  Woo-hoo!

Of course it had the same b0rked repeated-button behaviour as
the ir-kbd-i2c driver had, so I applied the same fixes to it
(cx88-input.c), and now it ramps repeat rate up nice and smoothly.

So.. if you are a PVR-250 user and looking for a way to keep your
remote control when ditching the PVR-250, this is one good option.

Cheers