[mythtv-users] Transcoding + exporting metadata for Roku

Yan Seiner yan at seiner.com
Wed Mar 30 13:44:08 UTC 2011

I am trying to build a script for the Roku.  I am not using Roku as a
front end; rather I want to set up Roku as a front end to an OpenWRT
file server, as a completely independent system, with the goal of having
a very low power system that can run off of batteries for a long, long
time.  With the Roku drawing 1A, and a typical OpenWRT box drawing about
0.7A, I can power this off a car battery for a long time.  The limiting
factor is the display power draw.

I also tested this platform with an iPod; I can use the same OpenWRT
server to stream video to an iPod via wifi, using the same feed as for
the Roku, since the Roku uses streaming http.  Pretty neat for keeping
the kids quiet on a long drive.

The idea is this:

Take a Mythtv recording or video.  Transcode it to h264 for roku.
Export the metadata into an xml file and tarball the video, thumbnail,
and xml data.  Now move the tarball to the OpenWRT platform,

I have the generic transcode scripts working.  Alas, I am not a MySQL
guru and I could use some help getting the SQL extraction stuff going.
I need to be able to get the commercial cuts, the thumbnail and the
video name from the database.

This is the info I need from the database.  For simplicity, all of the
content will be transcoded to SD, 720x480 resolution.

<item sdImg="http://xxxxxxxxxxx/roku/images/thumbnail.png"
hdImg="http://xxxxxxxxxxx/roku/images/thumbnail.png">
<contentId>4d91f981c50e0</contentId>
<title>nova</title>
<runtime>3594</runtime>
<streamBitrate>1091</streamBitrate>
<streamQuality>SD</streamQuality>
<FrameRate>0</FrameRate>
<size>720x480</size>
<file>nova.mp4</file>
<streamUrl>http://xxxxxxxxxxxxx/movies/nova.mp4</streamUrl>
<contentType>movie</contentType></item>

--
My car is Japanese. My Vodka is Russian. My pizza is Italian. My kebab is Turkish. My democracy is Greek. My wine is French. My coffee is Brazilian. My language is English. My movies are American. My music is African. My beers are German. My shirt is Indian. My oil is Saudi Arabian. My electronics are Taiwanese. My rifle is Czech. My shoes are Chinese.  My math is Arabic, my writing Latin. And you complain that your neighbor is Mexican?