[mythtv-users] Digital switchover channel confusion

Justin Hornsby justin0hornsby at gmail.com
Thu Mar 31 10:55:58 UTC 2011

>I'm sorry I forgot to add a link - and now I find I can't remember exactly where
>I saw it, I must apologise for that. However, here's a link to my own
>transmitter, Hannington. Look particularly at the section after "After Wednesday
>22nd February 2012":

Hmmm.  I'd take anything I read on uk.free.tv with a pinch of salt.
OFCOM's own post-DSO guidance docs here
http://stakeholders.ofcom.org.uk/broadcasting/guidance/tech-guidance/dsodetails/
 including here
http://stakeholders.ofcom.org.uk/binaries/broadcast/guidance/tech-guidance/Meridian.pdf
don't mention new muxes but *do* take into account their plan to clear
the '800Mhz band' for selling off meaning one or more muxes moving in
some regions, or at else be placed at risk of interference from
commercial users :-\

I suspect that OFCOM have protected spaces with a view to a commercial
entity taking them on for television use - but that doesn't mean it'll
happen.

As far as switching to DVB-T2 for SDTV is concerned btw - they'd
better not, although OFCOM's own comments on the matter ("no, of
course we wouldn't - at least not for the foreseeable future") make me
suspicious.  If they really intend on doing such an insane thing I
suggest we start campaigning before it's too late.

But then, I've always said that the day they make it too much like
hard work to watch/record TV, or the day they get to dictate how I
watch their blessed stuff - is the day I opt out & say to hell with
them all.

"And we, like utter fools, embraced the digital future with both arms" ....

J.