[mythtv-users] Graphics and DLNA and MythTV

Nick Rout nick.rout at gmail.com
Thu Mar 31 21:12:47 UTC 2011

On Fri, Apr 1, 2011 at 8:22 AM, Gary Buhrmaster
<gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 31, 2011 at 18:26, Alex Tomlins <alex at tomlins.org.uk> wrote:
>> I'd be wary of doing that.  In our current office I'm having to go
>> through and replace all the cat5 modules because the previous people did
>> exactly that, and the outer 2 pins on each one have got bent out of
>> place.  You'd be better off getting hold of some adaptors which aren't
>> expensive.
>
> It depends on the design/quality of the jack.  I have found the "good"
> 8P8C jacks (almost all of them also in the "expensive" category) can
> be used for 6P4C plugs (aka RJ-11) without damage.  It varies by
> manufacturer (and line), so one has to do their research.  The "low
> cost bidder" that usually installs office networks tends to not choose
> based on that criteria unless it was in the contract to do so.....

Until the February Christchurch earthquake I lived in a 1920's house
and struggled to run cable (and there were insifficient power points
too, except in a couple of rooms that had ben renovated and had new
wall linings.)

Now it looks like they will have to re-plasterboard every room, which
means I can run power and ethernet everywhere I want it. Yahoo, there
are some upsides.