[mythtv-users] Frontend memory problem

Mark Lord mythtv at rtr.ca
Sun May 1 12:44:10 UTC 2011

On 11-04-30 06:39 PM, Greg Hormann wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 30, 2011 at 4:50 PM, raptor jr <raptorjr at hotmail.com> wrote:
>> When i start the frontend it takes about 6% memory according to top. After 3
>> hours of LiveTV it is up to 60% memory usage. Is this normal? I have 2GB of
>> memory in the computer.
>
> I don't know what is "Normal", but my FE reports about 820M of memory
> consumed. 4 days of uptime.

When looking at "memory consumed" on Linux,
don't forget to *subtract* the "cached" amount
from the "used' amount.

The result is much closer to actual "used",
and probably a mere fraction of what you are seeing.

When looking at individual processes in "top" (or similar),
the generally subtract the "SHR" column from "VIRT" to get usage.
Not 100% accurate, but much closer than simply using "VIRT" by itself.

Cheers