[mythtv-users] Analog to digital transition

Ronald Frazier ron at ronfrazier.net
Sun May 1 19:33:36 UTC 2011

> So after several years of running my mythTV setup on ubuntu with Hauppauge analog capture cards and cable (us Comcast) I am making the transition to digital.
>
> Currently have two cards - three tuners - which I plan to replace with two 2250's. Wishing to minimize downtime so am trying to sort out the best path.

If I'm reading correctly, it sound like you are wanting to switch to
capturing unencrypted digital signals with a QAM tuner. Are you
positive you will be able to do that? Although it hasn't happened in
all markets yet, in a lot of places, Comcast has encrypted the digital
signal, making digital tuners useless. In that case, you either need
to do analog capture from a DTA or cable box, capture firewire from a
cable box, or switch to cablecard (with firewire and cablecard both
being dependent on what DRM is enabled by Comcast). So before planning
on making that switch, I'd confirm that you do indeed have an
unencrypted feed by hooking the coax line up to a TV with a digital
tuner, scanning the digital channels, and seeing what comes up.

---
Ron Frazier