[mythtv-users] Hauppauge remote control (Nova-T DVB-T)

Damian myth at surr.co.uk
Sun May 1 20:47:19 UTC 2011

On 01/05/2011 20:38, Damian wrote:
> On 01/05/2011 18:01, Martin Jones wrote:
>> Is it your lircd.conf and hardware.conf?
>>
>> I use a ps3 bs remote and each update I do updates restore these to
>> defaults but the old ones will be kept in the same directory
>>
>> Martin
>
> I think hardware.conf is my main problem.
>
> I have a couple of different lircd.conf files to try one the
> hardware.conf is set up correctly (and I think I know which lircd.conf
> is correct).
>
> I just looked in /etc/lirc, but the only older version was from before
> I tried one of the other Mythbuntu options yesterday.
>
> I have just found these two hardware.conf files in a backup folder I had.
>
> A:
> # /etc/lirc/hardware.conf
> #
> # Arguments which will be used when launching lircd
> LIRCD_ARGS=""
>
> #Don't start lircmd even if there seems to be a good config file
> START_LIRCMD=false
>
> #Try to load appropriate kernel modules
> LOAD_MODULES=true
>
> # Run "lircd --driver=help" for a list of supported drivers.
> DRIVER="dev/input"
> # If DEVICE is set to /dev/lirc and devfs is in use /dev/lirc/0 will be
> # automatically used instead
> DEVICE="/dev/input/event2"
> MODULES=""
>
> # Default configuration files for your hardware if any
> LIRCD_CONF=""
> LIRCMD_CONF=""
>

> B:
> # /etc/lirc/hardware.conf
> #
> # Arguments which will be used when launching lircd
> REMOTE_LIRCD_ARGS=""
>
> #Don't start lircmd even if there seems to be a good config file
> START_LIRCMD=false
>
> #Try to load appropriate kernel modules
> LOAD_MODULES=true
>
> # Run "lircd --driver=help" for a list of supported drivers.
> REMOTE_DRIVER="dev/input"
> # If DEVICE is set to /dev/lirc and devfs is in use /dev/lirc/0 will be
> # automatically used instead
> # DEVICE="/dev/input/event2"
> REMOTE_DEVICE="/dev/input/irremote"
> REMOTE_MODULES=""
>
> # Default configuration files for your hardware if any
> REMOTE_LIRCD_CONF=""
> LIRCMD_CONF=""
>

> I'm not sure if I should be trying to use them though because the last
> time I had the remote set up, the instructions I followed for Ubuntu
> worked fine. Something seems to be different now according to the
> people who have written those tutorials, but neither has actually done
> an update.
>
> Any next tips?
>
> Anyone usung the type of IR reciever that plugs into a Hauppauge card
> that could nudge me in the rights direction? I'm using Ubuntu 10.10,
> but will upgrade to 11.04 in a week or so.
>
> Thanks
> Damian

Right, I've just lost 3 hours to this and life is too short. Can I buy
my way out of trouble?

I'm thinking that maybe it's tricky to configure because the IR receiver
plugs into one of the TV cards rather that being a separate USB device
or something. Would everything be more straight forward if I bought a
USB dongle of some sort?

If so, which one will just work without any messing about. I'll change
the remote too if it makes things easier within a reasonable cost. I
just want it to work. I don't want to be lost making changes I don't
understand in config files and I don't want to have to do a huge RTFM
session just to get a remote control working when the keyboard is kind
of good enough.

I know I'm sounding like an apple/microsoft users who just wants it all
to work, but after 3 hours in config files I'm thinking that they're
onto something!

What can I buy that Mythbuntu will play nice with?

Or is there a simple fix to what I already have that I'm missing?

Damian