[mythtv-users] HDHR and Cablecard

Raymond Wagner raymond at wagnerrp.com
Mon May 2 16:03:07 UTC 2011

On 5/2/2011 11:42, Jay Ashworth wrote:
> [...]

One MultiStream card can decrypt six shows at a time.  While this only
has three tuners, the Ceton card has four tuners running off a single
cablecard.

> Does that mean Transport Streams?  IE: Assuming proper channel layout, is
> it theoretically possible to record 12 encrypted channels off of 3 muxes,
> using only that one tuner and CC?

I don't know if this is a technical limitation of the CableCard system,
or just one in Silicondust's design.  The HDHomeRun Prime has two
operating modes.  With no installed card, it functions just like a
3-tuner HDHomeRun.  Each tuner can record multiple streams through
multirec, up to the soft limit of 5 imposed by MythTV.  With a card
installed, each tuner only allows a single stream, meaning you can only
record three shows simultaneously.  Do understand that you will still be
replacing three cable box rentals with a much cheaper multistream card
rental.