[mythtv-users] HDHR and Cablecard

Jay Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Mon May 2 16:04:22 UTC 2011

----- Original Message -----
> From: "Raymond Wagner" <raymond at wagnerrp.com>
> > So that leads me to a secondary question. ISTR reading that one card
> > can only decrypt three streams at a time.
>
> One MultiStream card can decrypt six shows at a time. While this only
> has three tuners, the Ceton card has four tuners running off a single
> cablecard.

Are all cablecos actually *shipping* multistream cards?

> > Does that mean Transport Streams? IE: Assuming proper channel
> > layout, is
> > it theoretically possible to record 12 encrypted channels off of 3
> > muxes,
> > using only that one tuner and CC?
>
> I don't know if this is a technical limitation of the CableCard system,
> or just one in Silicondust's design. The HDHomeRun Prime has two
> operating modes. With no installed card, it functions just like a
> 3-tuner HDHomeRun. Each tuner can record multiple streams through
> multirec, up to the soft limit of 5 imposed by MythTV. With a card
> installed, each tuner only allows a single stream, meaning you can
> only record three shows simultaneously. Do understand that you will still
> be replacing three cable box rentals with a much cheaper multistream card
> rental.

So you're saying that's a configuration option and applies to the whole
box, at setup time.  So a Prime is either a 15ish-channel ClearQAM tuner *or*
a 3-channel QAMencrypted tuner.

Ok, at least that can be modeled, if it's not as efficient as you'd like.

Thanks for the clarification, Ray.

Cheers,
-- jra