[mythtv-users] Massive memory usage in MythFrontend (Trunk)

Doug Haber doug at fawnanddoug.com
Tue May 3 12:55:55 UTC 2011

Hey All,

I'm using trunk from April 20th and I've found that my mythfrontend
process can take upwards of 2.5GB of memory on my combo
frontend/backend box.  It usually starts at ~800MB and seems to climb
progressively until it reaches > 2GB after a day or so.  I think it's
related to cover/fan art because I've noticed that the memory usage
seems to jump every time I scroll in the Watch Recordings screen, but
only on items that have cover/fan art.  I have ~900 recordings in 5
recording groups.  One point to note is that I have a frontend only
box and mythfrontend on that one will stay at ~800MB for days (weeks)
on end.

Could it be related to the caching of the image files? Perhaps a DB
setting on one box that's not on the other?

The main issue is the box only has 2GB of RAM so once the process gets
that big it becomes very unresponsive and I have to restart it to do
anything. Can anyone help me?

Thanks!
Doug