[mythtv-users] Question, recording/watching the same channel multiple times

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Tue May 3 15:43:06 UTC 2011

On 05/03/2011 11:08 AM, Martin Moores wrote:
> This isn't a problem or issue, but I was just curious.
>
> I have been watching a lot of Snooker on the Myth box this weekend.
> Yesterday, the Snooker was being recorded from a scheduled recording,
> watched on my combined FE/BE by my brother and also watched by me on
> my Windows machine via MythTV Player.
>
> So same channel, but 3 instances.  I know I could have just set a
> recording going and then watched that....
>
> So this showed in MythWeb as using 3 tuners.  My brother asked me why
> it didn't just use one tuner and pump out the same recording to the
> various instances.  This question got me thinking as I couldn't really
> answer.
>
> So I was just curious as to how Myth handles this, does it have to
> record it separately due to pausing at different points or similar?
>
> On a slightly related question, in my frontend setup, there is an
> option to over record a certain TV category, I had set "Sport" to over
> record by 2 hours (for Snooker, this can be very handy), but it didn't
> work.  Does this option still have any effect?

Because Live TV implies the user (mythfrontend instance) who requested
Live TV has full control over the input and the ability to change
channels, etc.  If we give up the input when you change to an
already-being-recorded channel "for efficiency", you could lose your
input to another person who starts Live TV or a recording, so when you
realize your brother is watching a boring game and you go to change
channels, you can't, and now your only hope is to use network control to
send a channel change command to your brother's mythfrontend instance
and hijack his Live TV session.

Our Live TV design promotes world peace.

Mike