[mythtv-users] Help getting MythTV 0.24 working with a Pinnacle PCTV HD PCI card

WAYNE M waynemot at msn.com
Tue May 3 16:59:34 UTC 2011

I've got a setup as follows
Gateway E4000 with 1.8Ghz P4, 256MB ram, Nvidia FX 5600, Pinnacle PCTV HD PCI card, etc.
I have never had success with MythTV with this setup but with 0.24 it's closer than before and I'd really like to use MythTV if I can.
Originally
 I had this system loaded with a 2.6.28 and earlier kernels (8.0.4?
Ubuntu equiv.)  At that time I had given up on MythTV running this card (wouldn't channel scan)
but had succeeded in coaxing Kaffeine 0.88 to record from it, albeit
sketchy at times, those old kernels are terrible.

I got me a
Hauppaugue (sp?) pvr 1212 recently however and thought I'd like to use
it on some old OTA recorded VCR tapes I have.  So, I updated to a
2.6.31-23 kernel via the normal upgrade path of Synaptec package
manager.  At the same time I updated to Kaffeine 1.0-pre2 (tried
building pre3 the latest but that's another matter...) and I can still
get Kaffeine to run MythTV playing TV is better but still only
snow/noise on every channel.  Channels were rescanned in MythTV (which
actually worked after upgrading! It wouldn't pickup any in MythTV before
 upgrade) but still only snow in MythTV and picture in Kaffeine.  Myth
seems to change channels (at least it implies it is by the screen display/banner of MythTV on the bottom of the TV window) and the channel scan succeeded (which is why I think I'm close to getting it to work.)

So, any ideas on how to chase this back into MythTV?  I tried to attach logs to earlier emails to the users list but they got bounced due to length so I won't try to put the lspci, mythTV frontend and backend logs here.  Needless to say, I don't see anything in those logs or the lspci output that indicates a problem.

Any hints on debugging this?

Thanks
Wayne