[mythtv-users] Question, recording/watching the same channel multiple times

Martin Moores moores.martin at gmail.com
Wed May 4 08:51:35 UTC 2011

On 3 May 2011 19:56, Michael T. Dean <mtdean at thirdcontact.com> wrote:

> On 05/03/2011 11:08 AM, Martin Moores wrote:
> > On a slightly related question, in my frontend setup, there is an
> > option to over record a certain TV category, I had set "Sport" to over
> > record by 2 hours (for Snooker, this can be very handy), but it didn't
> > work.  Does this option still have any effect?
>
> Ooops, missed this part of your question.  The setting you're talking
> about is a terrible hack (that I will be removing) that is generally
> useless.
>
> Category of shows to be extended
> For a special category (e.g. "Sports event"), request that shows be
> autoextended. Only works if a show's category can be determined.
>
> And the category is specified by the listings provider and is not
> user-editable.  So, when the listings provider lists a show as a "Sports
> event" (as in the example specified in the help  text), it will work.
> However, when the listings provider calls it "Sports non-event" or
> "Sports talk" or  "Baseball" or ..., it won't work.  And, since we have
> no control over these categories, it generally implies to the user that
> MythTV is smarter than it is.  And the setting applies to only one
> category and isn't extensible, and ...
>
> The proper approach is to set up your recording rules with an
> appropriate end late.
>
> My plan is to allow recording rule templates, so rather than specify all
> the options you want for this new recording rule you're creating, you
> simply select "Sports Event" or "Movie" or "Best Show Ever!" or
> whichever template (where you create as many templates as you like), and
> the values for all  the recording rule options are set according to that
> template.  Then you can adjust them for this particular rule, as desired
> (or use all the template's settings without modification).  Templates
> would likely be auto-applied if their name matches the listings-provided
> category or possibly the genre or ...
>
> Anyway, I recommend doing proper recording rules so you don't have to
> fix rules when we drop the previously-mentioned hack.
>
> Mike

Thanks both for the replies, that makes full sense now!

I don't use LiveTV at all really, but when I have, I have found it pretty
stable to be honest, the only gripe is the time to change channel, but I
know why that is, so not an issue

I like the sound of the recording templates, would be very helpful.  Thanks
for the clarification on that setting for over recording on a category, will
be sure to set it in my recording rules in the future, only something that
would bother me a few times per year when the Snooker is shown!  My parents
off the shelf hard disk recorder seems to be "cleverer" in this respect, if
the snooker over runs it "knows" and carries on recording.  I guess this is
because it gets EIT updates more frequently than my Myth box gets XMLTV
updates!

Anyway, thanks for clearing that up

Martin