[mythtv-users] iPad Remote Control - Developers Wanted

Ben Curtis mythtv at nosolutions.com
Sat May 7 15:28:47 UTC 2011

> Is your project going to work on an iPhone as well? I assume, being
> as that is a webapp it could work, but I am asking if it will be
> worthwhile to use on an iPhone or the configuration will make it so
> that it is really only designed for an iPad.

Yes, but not at launch. While very long term as things progress past Phase
II, below is the delivery cycle I'm looking to complete. This may of course
speed up if I decide to push Phase V up, as other developers would probably
jump in. I just want to make sure I have a really good code base before I
hand it off, so it's easy for other devs to pick up. Ideally, this could be
a great mobile solution overall.

Phase I
- Full iPad functionality minus streaming accessible via web-app at
mythweb/mobile
- Launch screen with directions forcing installation to Springboard
(desktop) (so it's full-screen)
- AJAX based image loading to make things feel more "app" like
- Dynamic image resizing to eliminate slow loads like what exist in MythWeb
now for the Videos screen when there are a lot of covers
- Patches to the MythFrontend.php class to enable playback of MythVideo
content on frontends
- Patches to modules to enable fanart in addition to cover art

Phase II
- Streaming support to iPad

Phase III
- Code in skin support, including iPhone skin
- Create device detection code

Phase IV (may swap with V, depending on demand)
- Re-skin/code update to support Android devices (phones and tablets)

Phase V
- Integration into MythWeb on github

Phase VI
- Updates to MythFrontend to fix issues with myth://Video@ urls with
bookmarks that crash after start (currently to launch a video from the
client, you have to have access to the videos via SMB or NFS on the same
folder as the storage group to get around this, or at least I haven't
figured out a way)
- Updates to MythFrontend to enable external command calls, such as starting
Hulu Desktop

Thanks,
Ben