[mythtv-users] How do I get lirc to work in F14 >2.6.34.10-74 (using ir_kbd_i2c)

Mark Lord mythtv at rtr.ca
Sat May 7 19:57:05 UTC 2011

On 11-05-07 12:52 PM, Gabe Rubin wrote:
> Hi list,
>
> I had some time this morning, so I thought I would tackle the project
> of getting my lirc properly working with new kernels.  I was using
> lirc_i2c, but I know that it is dead in current kernels, and if I want
> to upgrade, I can't use it anymore.
>
> I am a little confused on the procedure for upgrading.  I have read
> relevant posts in the list and looked at the wiki, but feel I am
> missing something.  I am using the ir receiver that came with my
> PVR-350 and a Harmony One remote that mimics the MythTVKnoppMyth
> remote in the Harmony database.
>
> What I have done is this:
>
> 1) modprobe ir_kbd_i2c
>
> 2) Installed v4l-utils to get the ir-keytables package
>
> 3) Installed lirc-remotes
>
> 4) Ran ir-keytable to ensure a driver was loaded
> [root at localhost modprobe.d]# ir-keytable
> Found /sys/class/rc/rc0/ (/dev/input/event2) with:
>         Driver ir-kbd-i2c, table rc-rc5-tv
>         Supported protocols: RC-5
>         Enabled protocols:
>         Repeat delay = 500 ms, repeat period = 33 ms
>
> 5) Copied /usr/share/lirc-remotes/devinput/lircd.conf.devinput to
> /etc/lirc.conf (saving a backup of the prior lircd.conf)
>
> 6) cat /proc/bus/input/devices to determine what the /dev/input lirc
> was using and found out it was event2 based on this:
> H: Handlers=kbd event2
>
> 7) Edited /etc/sysconfig/lirc, which was an empty file to include the following:
> LIRC_DRIVER=""
> LIRC_DEVICE="/dev/input/event2"
>
> 8) Restarted lirc
>
> 9) Ran irw and entered keypresses.  I get nothing in the console.
>
> This is where I am stuck.  I am guessing I am missing same (obvious)
> step.  Any ideas?

ir-kdb-i2c is a standalone driver, not normally used with LIRC.
If you can configure ir-kbd-i2c to your liking, then there is no need
at all for LIRC (for input, anyway).

Does your PVR-350 remote control work at all after doing (only) this:

   sudo rmmod ir-kbd-i2c ; sudo modprobe ir-kbd-i2c

Eg. after a fresh load of the kernel module, does the PVR-350 work at all?
Try the various buttons and see what works (use "xev" to "listen" to it).

Cheers