[mythtv-users] Wahoo, Netflix coming to Chrome on Linux

Raymond Wagner raymond at wagnerrp.com
Tue May 10 19:04:38 UTC 2011

On 5/10/2011 14:06, Matt Emmott wrote:
> >From
> http://www.thechromesource.com/netflix-plug-in-for-chrome-and-chrome-os-is-on-the-way/
>
> Good news Chrome users:  A Netflix plugin for Chrome and Chrome OS is
> ready to be released. This is based on the reports that are coming in
> over at the Chromium site.
>
> This upcoming Netflix plugin will enable the streaming of movies via
> HTML5 technology, rather than Microsoft’s Silverlight software, which
> requires the user to download and install it onto
> their computer -something you’ll only be able to do in limited
> functions with Chrome OS.
>
> Can I get a hooray? Or more importantly, can I get a MythNetVision
> plugin? :-)

You have to remember that HTML5 has no concept of DRM.  All video is
unencrypted, and freely available to any application.  Such a thing
would not be acceptable by Netflix.  The plugin will function as an
intermediate layer, and will likely use some secure channel into
Chrome's video code, meaning there's a good chance this will only
function with Chrome and not Chromium.