[mythtv-users] HD-PVR power cycling

Pete Ashdown pashdown at xmission.com
Wed May 11 02:08:02 UTC 2011

I'm glad I'm not the only one experiencing this.  I've upgraded
motherboards, thrown down the latest kernel with the hd-pvr updates and it
all hasn't changed the bug.  What I currently do is scan the logs with a
cronjob looking for errors, then send an alert with notifo.  It isn't
perfect, sometimes there are false alarms, but it is better than nothing.
I am interested if anyone has a quicker, more sure-fire way of detecting
the bug.  I look forward to the powercycle board, I was about to do the
same with a relay and the parallel port, but the problem of detecting the
problem still remains.  Furthermore, my solution requires using "sed"
against the existing logs to clean up the errors so it isn't detected
again.  Elegant it is not.

Here is my bash script that I use:

#!/bin/bash

if [ ! -e /tmp/hdpvrpooched ]; then
   if grep -q hdpvr.\*disconn /var/log/messages; then
     pooched=1
   fi
   if grep -q "hdpvr), Error: Start encoding failed"
/var/log/mythtv/mythbackend.log; then
     pooched=1
   fi

   if [ "$pooched" = "1" ]; then
       echo hdpvr pooched
       curl -s -u pashdown:XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX -d "to=pashdown&msg=mythtv
hdpvr pooched" https://api.notifo.com/v1/send_message >/dev/null 2>&1
       touch /tmp/hdpvrpooched
   fi
fi