[mythtv-users] I2C RW failure, with experimental 80e driver...

Devin Heitmueller dheitmueller at kernellabs.com
Thu May 12 01:22:04 UTC 2011

On Wed, May 11, 2011 at 8:48 PM, Martin, Charles <cmart at dolby.com> wrote:
> Hi Devin -
>
>    I will look into the I2C comms then.  I also have access to the source,
> so I'm not totally flying blind (however, it is a BIG code base!)
> As far as playback goes, I'm using a custom player that interfaces with the
> V4L frontend file device.  No Mythtv frontend.  Although, I wish there was a
> vanilla mythtv app
> that just allows me to tune to a frequency and play out to the
> monitor/HDMI/etc
>
>    I understand you're under NDA, but therein creates a problem:  you have
> access to the specs, but no time.  I have time, but no specs.  If anything
> the code should probably go into
> v4l_experimental or something.  Is there anyone in your contacts I can speak
> to about getting the specs (under my own NDA of course).  Plus I have access
> to a Tektronix QAM/VSB generator, but I don't know for how long.

The people in question are long gone unfortunately (a product of
Micronas being acquired by Trident).  So I don't know who to put you
in touch with.

Getting the ClearQAM to work should only require about a half dozen
lines of code to be changed into the main entry point of the
set_frontend() call.  If you are familiar with the nuance of the
signal parameters (and if you have access to a generator, I'm going to
assume you do), then it should be pretty obvious what needs to change.

That said, unless you're not in the US, you shouldn't really need a
generator since you can just as easily just hook the device up to a
cable feed.

If you have a commercial interest in seeing the device work, then you
may wish to contact me off-list, since this is exactly what Kernel
Labs was created for.

Devin

--
Devin J. Heitmueller - Kernel Labs