[mythtv-users] Share mythbuntu PC's Internet connection (so it acts as a router/gateway) for WIRED connections

Alessandro alessandro.campobassi at gmail.com
Thu May 12 20:03:36 UTC 2011

Hi folks,
Hoping someone can help me. A little bit off topic I'm sorry, but have
always found the people on this list, very willing to help each other
out!

I connect my Ubuntu (running mythbuntu 10.04) to a VPN, that works just fine.
However, I want another wired network device to use this Ubuntu PC as
it's gateway (so it is then using the VPN connection)

I need (well prefer) to keep my Mythbuntu IP static (eg 192.168.1.80)
and setup another device (192.168.1.85) to use a gateway of
192.168.1.80 to get to the internet.

I have tried this using a Windows box (XP) to be the 'gateway' sharing
it's internet connection, and it worked just fine - but I need to set
it up using Ubuntu (PC that is on all the time) to serve as the
gateway for this other device.

I've searched around and found people sharing Ubuntu internet
connection for wireless clients and DHCP etc, but I just need the
Ubuntu sharing to keep it's static address and allow other network
clients to 'piggy back' on it's connection, so they are also using the
VPN.

The other network device cannot setup to the VPN direct, it can only
have a NIC configured (wired) locally.

any ideas on how (if this is even possible) I could manage this? I
just need to get my mythbuntu network settings configured so it will
share it's static wired connection to the internet, so other devices
can use it as a gateway.

Thanks a bunch for any advice!
Alex