[mythtv-users] IR power on for frontend

Terjesen Jens Peder Jens.Peder.Terjesen at devoteam.com
Fri May 13 12:11:52 UTC 2011

Andre wrote:

On 13 May 2011, at 11:56, Ramon Hofer wrote:

> Hi Josu
>
>> Hello list, I want to add a frontend machine for the bedroom. But I
>> need a machine that can power on the machine from the remote, just to
>> wake up and watch the news.
>
> I have used a case which includes a soundgraph display with IR remote. I
> can press a button on the remote to switch the PC on. It works great.
>
> Maybe you want to have a look here:
> http://www.plug-ins.net/product.php?productid=1341&cat=248&page=1

Sorry to jump in but I'm interested in how useful these displays are in MythTV, so interested to hear from someone who has one. Specifically if you can use the "volume control" for other things, eg is a soft control or wired only for sound?

Andre

> http://www.silverstonetek.com.tw/products/p_contents.php?pno=gd01mx&area=usa
>

> Cheers
> Ramon

I have a Thermaltake DH101 with Soundgraph LCD display and IR remote.
http://www.thermaltake.com/products-model.aspx?id=C_00000176

I actually don't use the volume knob or the buttons, but about two years ago I fiddled with Lirc and got them working.
Back then the driver created two device nodes, one for the volume knob and buttons and one for the remote, so had to run two instances of Lirc.
The volume knob would generate events for each "click" when turning it up or down in the same way as the remote buttons and the front panel buttons.

The LCD display has quite low contrast so is readable more or less only when looking straight at it and not at an angle.

The remote needs to be pointed at the IR receiver to work.

My case is placed under the TV quite near the floor. If you place the case higher up I think the display can be more useful, e.g. see what is being recorded, navigate menues without TV on.

Jens