[mythtv-users] Mythvideo ttvdb timeout

Raymond Wagner raymond at wagnerrp.com
Fri May 13 18:08:54 UTC 2011

On 5/13/2011 13:52, Espen A. Fossen wrote:
> On 13.05.2011 19:43, Raymond Wagner wrote:
>> On 5/13/2011 13:00, Espen A. Fossen wrote:
>>> When i try to do a direct request via the script the, like this:
>>> /usr/share/mythtv/metadata/Television/ttvdb.py -l en -D 71256 16 49. The
>>> request works, but only after a long while.
>>>
>>> I am guessing the mythvideo has a 30 second timeout it reaches. Anybody
>>> know where this timeout can be tweaked. Didn't find anything in the
>>> mythtv settings.
>> Metadata queries should not take more than a few seconds.  If a query
>> has taken sufficiently long that it has surpassed the timeout in
>> MythVideo and that behavior persists, then either the server is
>> currently under heavy load, or is having unresolved issues.  In either
>> case, the courteous thing would be to simply hold off further access
>> until such time as the server is behaving better.
> I haven't been hammering the server, but tried this at 5 to 10 different
> instances for the last 2 weeks. All requests timeout for this tv show
> only. I might have been extremely unlucky with the timing of all my
> request tries, but I doubt it.

In the past, TTVDB has been known to be extremely slow at certain times
of the day and week due to heavy load, primarily from XBMC users.  I
assumed this is what was going on in this instance.  Considering instead
this is a persistent issue involving a single show, I checked it out to
see if maybe this is something that should be flagged upstream.
Instead, this seems to be a problem with the grabber itself, as it
immediately hit 100% CPU usage, and sustained that until I manually
killed it.

My guess is that it's trying to pull the entire series and process it
all at once, before returning the desired episode.  Most shows only have
a few dozen or maybe a hundred or two episodes allowing fairly quick
processing.  The Daily Show on the other hand is running into the
thousands of episodes.  I'll take a closer look at this later and see if
it can be improved.