[mythtv-users] HDHomerun Prime - Preorders official on newegg

Raymond Wagner raymond at wagnerrp.com
Sat May 14 18:00:27 UTC 2011

On 5/14/2011 13:47, Ronald Frazier wrote:
>> That 6 tuner model is really tempting but I don't know if I want to shell
>> out $500 for a tuner, especially with the WebOS touchpad dropping next month
>> - too many gadgets!
> My opinion is that the 6 tuner really isn't that worth it. I was
> hoping there to be some price incentive for getting a 6-tuner rather
> than two 3-tuners. However, the price is exactly double. So the only
> upside is that, since they share a power supply, you'd save one space
> on your power strip. You might also prefer the rack mountable design.
> For me the form factor makes no difference (they'll just be sitting in
> a closet). However, the big downside I see is, if one half of the
> 6-tuner fails, it could potentially take out the other half. If I'm
> going to pay the same price and they're pretty much identical, I'd
> rather have 2 separate parts instead of having them in 1 case.

If you look at the specs, it takes two CableCards, supports two tuning
adapters, has two ethernet ports.  By all accounts it is two independent
units mounted on a 17" frame.  At worst, you would have to buy a second
triple tuner, take it out of the case, rip off the DC power input, and
solder leads to connect it to an internal power supply.