[mythtv-users] Problem Audio on Freeview HD BBC Channels

John Pilkington J.Pilk at tesco.net
Sat May 14 19:33:26 UTC 2011

On 14/05/11 19:48, Duncan Brown wrote:
> On 14/05/2011 19:23, Glenn Callow wrote:
>> I've got Freeview HD running on a PCTV Nanostick through the work done by Steve Kerrison at http://stevekerrison.com/290e/ .
>>
>> I've had it running a few days, and I've noticed a problem with audio on the BBC channels through Mythfrontend.  Essentially something happens on the transition when a programme starts or stops which causes audio to be lost.  If I start a recording on the adverts between programmes, the sound plays fine but then stops as soon as the programme starts.  The reverse can also happen - start playing during a programme and you get no sound between programmes.
>>
>> Playing a recording through VLC exhibits the same problem - however you can get the sound to start playing again by pausing the recording once the sound stops, switching the audio track to 'Visually Impaired', then back to the standard track and resuming the recording.
>>
>> I've uploaded a 50MB clip which exhibits the problem at:
>>
>> http://www.mediafire.com/?5zx2x3zv2g6hxys
>>
>> Any thoughts/help appreciated.
>>
>> Glenn
>>
> Just tried it and getting exactly the same problem
>
> Logs fill up with
>
> AFD Error: Unknown audio decoding error
> 2011-05-14 19:46:22.067 [aac_latm @ 0x34e3af7ec0]channel element 0.0 is
> not allocated
>
> Running the latest 0.24 fixes from Atrpms which is currently at g97118ac
>
> Dunc

Thanks for the clip.  Here's a mediainfo report.  Might be useful.

John P

General
ID                               : 16514 (0x4082)
Complete name                    : /home/John/Videos/test.mpg
Format                           : MPEG-TS
Format/Info                      : Advanced Video Codec
File size                        : 48.8 MiB
Duration                         : 34s 311ms
Overall bit rate                 : 11.9 Mbps

Video
ID                               : 6601 (0x19C9)
Menu ID                          : 1 (0x1)
Format                           : AVC
Format/Info                      : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile                   : High at L4.0
Format settings, CABAC           : Yes
Format settings, ReFrames        : 4 frames
Codec ID                         : 27
Duration                         : 34s 0ms
Width                            : 1 440 pixels
Height                           : 1 080 pixels
Display aspect ratio             : 16:9
Frame rate                       : 25.000 fps
Color space                      : YUV
Chroma subsampling               : 4:2:0
Bit depth                        : 8 bits
Scan type                        : MBAFF
Color primaries                  : BT.709-5, BT.1361, IEC 61966-2-4,
SMPTE RP177
Transfer characteristics         : BT.709-5, BT.1361
Matrix coefficients              : BT.709-5, BT.1361, IEC 61966-2-4 709,
SMPTE RP177

Audio #1
ID                               : 6602 (0x19CA)
Menu ID                          : 1 (0x1)
Format                           : AAC
Format/Info                      : Advanced Audio Codec
Format profile                   : LC
Muxing mode                      : LATM
Codec ID                         : 17
Duration                         : 34s 304ms
Channel(s)                       : 2 channels
Channel positions                : Front: L R
Sampling rate                    : 48.0 KHz
Compression mode                 : Lossy
Delay relative to video          : -881ms
Language                         : English

Audio #2
ID                               : 6606 (0x19CE)
Menu ID                          : 1 (0x1)
Format                           : AAC
Format/Info                      : Advanced Audio Codec
Format profile                   : HE-AAC / LC
Muxing mode                      : LATM
Codec ID                         : 17
Duration                         : 33s 792ms
Channel(s)                       : 1 channel
Channel positions                : Front: C
Sampling rate                    : 48.0 KHz / 24.0 KHz
Compression mode                 : Lossy
Delay relative to video          : -643ms
Language                         : English
Language, more info              : Visual impaired commentary

Text
ID                               : 6605 (0x19CD)
Menu ID                          : 1 (0x1)
Format                           : DVB Subtitle
Codec ID                         : 6
Language                         : English