[mythtv-users] Natty Narwhal

Daniel Kristjansson danielk at cuymedia.net
Sat May 14 20:17:59 UTC 2011

On Sun, 2011-05-01 at 23:33 -0400, Ian Evans wrote:
> I guess I just gotta look at update-manager config info. e.g. in
> CentOS and yum I can tell it not to upgrade certain packages.

In /etc/update-manager/release-upgrades there is a line that says:

Prompt=normal

Change that to either:

Prompt=lts

Or,

Prompt=never

Setting it to "lts" will change it so it only prompts you to upgrade
to the more stable "long term support" versions of Ubuntu. Setting
it to "never" avoids stops all prompting, but it means you will need
to manually change this to do upgrades once security updates stop for
whatever you are running. I use and recommend "lts". This way I only
spend the three months it takes to get the system to work right every
couple years -- instead of every six months to twelve months.

I do keep virtual machines around that run the "normal" releases of
Ubuntu, but this is only because the cutting edge fascinates me and
because as a MythTV developer I'm occasionally need to help the Ubuntu
folks when MythTV won't run or compile under the latest unstable
version.

-- Daniel