[mythtv-users] VDPAU for flash video

Kingsley Turner krt at krt.com.au
Mon May 16 23:42:12 UTC 2011

On 16/05/11 05:56, jedi wrote:
> On Sun, May 15, 2011 at 08:05:59PM +0200, Josu Lazkano wrote:
>> Hello list, I am using my HTPC to watch satellite channels and some HD
>> videos with VDPAU.
>>
>> I want to try to watch some flash video from mythbrowser. Is it
>> possible to get hardware acceleration for flash videos?
>     Yup. Just run the latest version of Flash.
>
>     However, this requires using features in Flash and it's the webmaster
> of the relevant website that's in control of that. So whether or not this
> will work out is mostly dependent on the website itself.
>
> [deletia]
>
>      If you want to use Flash, you're probably better off with a faster
> machine that can handle decoding Flash in software.

Amen to that last point.  With NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-260.19.44 driver, and the
latest flash, I get persistent screen corruption when using
hardware-accelerated flash.  Even killing off all the 'npviewer.bin' etc.
didn't fix it.  It looked like some kind of colour-overlay thing problem - I
got a rectangle of corruption where ever the flash plugin had been
operating.  Basically I had to restart X to get video behaving again.
Telling flash to disable hardware acceleration "fixed" it.

So I'm not saying don't do it, just that YMMV.

cheers,
-kt