[mythtv-users] UK DVB Tuning Nightmare

Fluf fluffkinuk at yahoo.co.uk
Thu May 19 21:15:54 UTC 2011

On 19 May 2011 21:29, Simon Hobson <linux at thehobsons.co.uk> wrote:

> That sounds right and fits in with what others have already said. You
> are getting 5 muxes from your main transmitter (there'll be a 6th
> reserved for HD), and another 5 (6) from a different one for Wales.
> Most of the Welsh muxes will be identical to the ones you get from
> your main transmitter.

<snip>

> Yes, they probably do come from the same transmitter. My 'local'
> (it's 40 miles away) is Winter Hill. We get the full lineup
> (including HD if I had the hardware) and it all comes from the one
> tower. It really isn't anything like radio where different
> transmitters are dotted around the place.

Well .. if they do all come from the same transmitter, it's still being a
pain. If I clear the database table by deleting and starting a new video
source afresh, then go for a Full Scan [Tuned]. On one of the frequencies I
know works. It will scan that frequency, but also take all the suggestions
and add those frequencies. So far it has an annoying habit of adding 666 and
698 which I know are both bad reception for me.

So if I go back make it all fresh and clean again .. and try adding simple
transports before I've done a scan (auto all except 8MHz bw). I've got the
transports in place. Do a scan of Existing Transports ... and ... if fails
to pick up Channel4 for example. Even though it lists it in the debug
terminal window and I know it's in the frequency set I've given it.

Right now, I've got a partial mix of transports it's found and auto's I've
had to add to fill in the blanks it wants to fill in with bad reception
channels and I've deleted, and still no channel 4 even if I rescan them.

Again with the Myth brickwall.
It doesn't seem to like user made "auto" transports as much as ones it makes
itself, even if they appear to be identical to me, so I may as well give up
on those. It's Full Tune [Tuned] or nothing apparently ...

Probably time to delete it all again and see if starting at the big numbers
and going down works better than going from the little numbers up. But it is
being a real PITA for something that should be pretty easy.