[mythtv-users] Natty Narwhal

Mark Lord mythtv at rtr.ca
Fri May 20 04:07:36 UTC 2011

On 11-05-16 11:29 AM, Ben Kamen wrote:
> On 5/16/2011 10:28 AM, Henrik wrote:
>> I´d wait.
>> It broke power off for me, box hangs on powerdown.
>> Other than that it seems ok, so far.
>
> Interesting since Scientific Linux 6 does the same thing on my new box.
>
> It starts to shut down and then stops... and never powers off.

Heh.. I've had kernels doing that on my mythtv box for years now.
There's a race/bug somewhere in the SMP power-off code.
I've tried to trace it many times, but the mere act of adding
trace printk()s to the code makes the problem go away,
as does enabling the serial console.

My solution?  Enable the serial console at boot time on the mythtv box.
No more shutdown problems.

:)